The chronic inflammation associated with gum disease is a sign of chronic inflammation in the body, which can cause many physical illnesses. In other words “Your Teeth Can Make You Sick.”
Your mouth plays a much larger role in your overall health than you may realize. If your gums bleed and are infected, there is an open communication to the rest of your body’s circulatory system. This is now referred to as the “oral-systemic connection.” There is research published on almost a daily basis that now shows that oral inflammation is much more dangerous than has been recognized in the past. Risk factors associated with gum disease include:
- Heart disease
- Diabetes pancreatic cancer
- Low birth weight babies
- In addition to the standard diagnostics tests such as x-rays, we use microbiological testing for the small group of oral bacteria that we now know to determine what treatment is appropriate.
- Our treatment recommendations follow our “Oral Disinfection Protocol” which is personalized for each patient.
- Treatment is followed by an evaluation to confirm healing and improvement.
- Following treatment, a personalized home care program of specific products and techniques are created to maintain a healthy oral environment.
- For each patient under treatment, the microbiology of the mouth is monitored at subsequent visits to assure stability.
Oral Health Affects Overall Health
Did you know that oral infections are highly transferable? Oral bacteria are easily transferred between members of the family through the sharing of food, kisses, and even toothpaste.
We believe that a healthy mouth will promote a healthy body. We aggressively treat and control oral infections. This results in improved gum health and also reduces the risk of spreading oral infections. This contributes to your overall health.